Thursday, June 16, 2005

all by myself

Before I left, I thought that travelling as a single gal would be viewed as some sort of weird handicap - like why couldn't I find anyone to come with me? I could not have been further from the truth. Instead, most people seem filled with admiration that I have actually had the get-up-and-go to just go by myself. That has certainly been a pleasant surprise. Meeting people has been no problem whatsoever. Sure, the Californian guys just left town, but tonight I am meeting Celine, a French girl, in some bar to watch movies and hang out. The best places to make new friends? At bus stations, train stations, airports - places of transit. Hanging out in guesthouses is also a good one, but not quite as high a success rate. Furthermore, if you meet people on a bus, you can always escape from them. Not so much with the whole guesthouse thing. Yes, there are plenty of people you meet that you don't want to hang out with either!

I have taken to using the Thai "powder' for keeping me cool. It doesn't seem to have another name beyond powder, and it comes in a cool, old-school tin. I don't know how it works, apart from it kind of heats my body up, in a weird, tiger balm esque way, but this for some reason stops me from getting hot and sticky. Backwards I know, but it works.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came across your site via Blogexplosion...I am in the midst of plannig my own extended trip by myself. As a female I haven't been too concerned about 'meeting people' but its nice to know that it's not hard to do...cause I'm sure at times the company is nice (and the rates for some activities)!

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home